“The accuracy of our data is now much greater, primarily because of the enhanced visibility provided within the ComSci solution. This allows each department to analyze its utilization of services and track its internal budget. Better visibility also enables managers to control demand, which has resulted in reduced overall spend.”
– Denise Vay, Senior IT Manager of Financial Services, PPG Industries
- PPG Industries (NYSE: PPG) is the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world.
- PPG’s infrastructure group wanted to get a better handle on technology costs and how technology products and services were being consumed by internal business units to ensure it was providing the most cost-effective and value-added services.
- While PPG had a chargeback system in place, it was internally developed and offered limited visibility of what made up IT costs, not showing how technology was being consumed by users, business units or departments. This prevented PPG’s businesses from having accurate data for informed decision-making.
- Recognizing that you can’t manage what you can’t see, PPG sought to replace its internally developed legacy system with a hosted offering to put more rigor around IT financial management.
- By selecting Upland’s IT financial management application, ComSci, PPG was able to better understand who is consuming what technology service and its impact on the business, and to identify opportunities for cost control or containment.
- Partnering with ComSci enables PPG to help its internal customers and makes it easy for PPG to expand the system globally.
- PPG can track approximately 100 different IT infrastructure and network services within ComSci’s SaaS-based application.
- PPG can determine IT consumption and costs down to specific inventory items and individual employees.
- Enhanced visibility and greater data accuracy enable PPG to analyze use of IT services, track against budget and ensure it is providing the most cost-effective IT products and services.