Serious Sport achieve 35% YOY increase in revenue for Black Friday campaign
The Serious Sport Group was established in 2005 recognizing a niche market to provide high quality team clothing and sportswear, delivered within 3-5 working days for personalized orders. Serious Sport is now one of the fastest growing teamwear companies in the UK due to its philosophy of offering quality garments, backed up with unrivalled quality service at competitive prices.
- To increase Halloween email-driven revenue by 30% across four websites
- To increase Black Friday email-driven revenue by 20% across four websites
- Drive a 3.5% increase in list size from the Halloween promotion and a 2.5% increase in list size from the Black Friday promotion
Serious Sport saw an opportunity to leverage seasonal promotions to drive list growth and email-driven revenue. Focusing on Halloween and Black Friday, the challenge was to execute cross-channel campaigns across multiple websites to promote early access deals for email subscribers and drive a year-on-year increase in revenue.
As a small marketing team working across all channels, careful planning and efficient execution was key to success.
Serious Sport devised a fun and creative promotion in which customers had to click-through from an email to reveal their mystery offer. Offers were assigned randomly and varied from 10% to as much as 50% off the customer’s basket. Ahead of the promotion, Serious Sport targeted customers on the website and via social encouraging them to sign-up to email to receive information about the promotion. The campaign was executed across multiple brand websites (Serious Sport, Serious Cricket, Serious Football and Toga Sports).
Serious Sport designed a four-phase email campaign to promote their email-exclusive early-access Black Friday sale, again executed across multiple brand websites.
- Phase 1 ‘Black Friday is coming’ – create anticipation
- Phase 2 ‘Black Friday early access’ – exclusive deals in the run up to Black Friday
- Phase 3 ‘Black Friday is here’ – site wide discount of 25% off everything
- Phase 4 ‘Cyber Monday’ – 20% off everything
- For phase 2, offers were dynamically targeted depending on whether customers were interested in teamwear or equipment.
Using the Adestra Email Editor, Serious Sport were able to quickly and efficiently execute over 15 separate campaigns by selecting appropriate modules from their bespoke template, copying campaigns and quickly editing brand logos and colours. They could do this worry-free of display issues in any email clients and knowing the emails would be fully responsive across all widely-used mobile devices.
Ahead of the promotion, Serious Sport leveraged the opportunity to drive list growth by targeting customers on the website and via social as they did for the Halloween promotion.
Serious Sport exceeded their revenue targets for both the Halloween and Black Friday campaign by an impressive margin:
- Halloween promotion achieved a 131% YOY increase in revenue
- Black Friday achieved a 35% YOY increase in revenue
List growth was equally impressive and exceeded all targets set:
- Halloween generated 3.5% list growth across all brands
- Black Friday generated an average 4% list growth across all brands and for new brand Serious Football an astounding 40% growth
The Serious Sport team are planning even ‘bigger and better’ seasonal campaigns for 2019 including greater personalization of offers and content for their customers further driven by dynamic content in their campaigns.Download Case Study