Smarter, secure cloud fax communications for healthcare providers. InterFAX has the goods.
According to the 2019 HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey, 74% of respondents experienced a significant security incident in the previous 12 months. And yet, 69% of the same survey respondents report that their organization uses legacy systems.
If the statistics above make you nervous, you have a good reason! As healthcare professionals, you already know that putting reliable, secure fax technology in place is critical so that essential communications and services remain uninterrupted – whatever the circumstance. Aside from being a negative ding on your organization’s reputation and trustworthiness, data breaches due to negligent practices or processes will cost you. HIMSS reports that just one breached patient record costs approximately $380 in compliance fees. How many patient records are you responsible for at the moment? One breach could add up to millions in penalties – fast.
Ready to update your communications processes? Here are a few items to consider when seeking a vendor to keep you competitive (and compliant) in 2020 and beyond.
Taking fax into the modern era
The idea of faxing should no longer be associated with visions of dusty, cumbersome equipment. To help healthcare organizations stay secure and competitive, trustworthy vendors handle sensitive patient data in the cloud while adhering to HIPAA regulations’ intricacies with HIPAA compliant fax.
What does that mean? In short, any third-party provider you work with must have the technical, physical, and procedural security measures in place to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of faxes – and ensure your patients’ critical data is secure. They must guarantee that a comprehensive technical framework is in place alongside industry-specific certifications that adhere to stringent global requirements.
Can a third-party vendor keep PII data safe and HIPAA-compliant?
YES, but as a buyer, you need to do your homework. As you research your options, you must choose a willing vendor to sign a Business Associate Agreement. That’s standard procedure, but it’s critical.
Next, find out the range of security features the vendor has in place to comply with HIPAA regulations, such as:
- Data encryption: Fax messages (inbound and outbound) should be delivered in encrypted formats, whether SSL or signed email (PKI), so that PII can be delivered securely.
- Automatic fax removal: Messages containing sensitive content are automatically deleted from servers upon delivery, ensuring that nobody – including your third-party vendor – has access to sensitive information.
- User authentication: The technology gives you the ability to enforce appropriate access rights by compelling username and password access to the online fax system.
- Physical security: Actual server equipment must be housed in secure environments that are accessible only by approved personnel.
- Audit trail: The service should provide a full audit trail of faxes sent and received through the servers, viewable online or trackable using mail confirmations sent to a fax’s sender. Is the fear of change (or the work of implementing a new system) worth risking your patient’s data – not to mention the cost of a breach? Tech is evolving quickly, and if your fax system is a few years old (or older), your organization (and your clients) are already at risk. Not only is this a basic compliance no-no, but an ethical question. After all, “do no harm” is your commitment, so while you’re keeping patients healthy and thriving, you need to ensure you’re safeguarding their PII as well.
We’re ready to help you get started! Sign up for a live demo or start a free trial to learn how Upland’s secure cloud fax and document management technology can simplify communications for your organization while ensuring comprehensive data security and 100% HIPAA-compliance.
The idea of faxing should no longer be associated with visions of dusty, cumbersome equipment. To help healthcare organizations stay secure and competitive, trustworthy vendors handle sensitive patient data in the cloud.
5 Ways Capture Technology Increases Security
How can cloud capture processes provide resilient ways to tackle your daily work challenges? Capturing the content is only part of the journey. Let’s dive into data security.
Migrating to Cloud Telephony: It’s as Easy as 1, 2, 3
Migrating to cloud-based telephony has never been easier. Learn how InGenius enables a seamless switch in this article.