“We are thrilled with the way that the new user interface gives our marketing team the necessary control to support our digital strategies. As more visitors consume our digital content through mobile devices and tablets, we’re particularly impressed with the ability to quickly and easily see what the customer experience is like across all devices. This will not only speed-up our workflow, but it will also ensure we are delivering a more compelling experience to customers, partners and other audiences when they visit our site.”
-Cory Reed, Director of Digital Marketing, Ciena
- Ciena Corporation is a leader in communication network infrastructure, associated software and professional services. The company specializes in helping customers transition to service- driven networks that fundamentally change the way they compete. With expertise in optical and ethernet networking, Ciena combines software- programmable hardware, a common operating system, and unified service and transport management to enable customers to adapt and scale with any emergent business model.
- “Our website is the hub of all of our marketing activities,” says Guillermo Corea, Director of Web and Community Marketing at Ciena. “We want to be able to establish and maintain relationships with our customers through ciena.com, but the instability and inefficiencies of our legacy solution made this increasingly difficult.”
- Ciena’s website was built on an early WCM platform and was hosted in-house. Though the system originally met the company’s needs, their implementation was out of date with changes in web publishing paradigms and had become slow and inefficient. Even small changes to the site, such as adding a comma to a sentence, required the company to sync the entire website, which could take up to twenty minutes to complete. Additionally, the system was becoming increasingly unstable. If changes were made to one section of the site, other areas of the website would be affected—from outdated content reappearing randomly on the site, to content showing up in the wrong location. This instability posed significant security risks as well as aesthetic issues.
- This instability was also a drain on the company in terms of budget and productivity, resulting in an estimated downtime cost of $30,000 per developer each year due to system problems.
- After thorough evaluation of the short-listed WCM solutions, Ciena chose the Clickability Platform for its reliability, ease-of-use, SaaS delivery model and dynamic publishing capabilities.
- “Given our IT organization’s other responsibilities and our need for dedicated support, we chose the Clickability WCM,” says Corea. “Instead of focusing IT resources on website content updates, they are now free to tackle more important issues, such as integration work to support recent company mergers and acquisitions.”
- Once Ciena achieved their original goals for the website, they began to expand the site, adding new features and creating a truly global online presence. Initially the company published the site in six languages; since then this number has increased by more than 100% and the site is now published in more than fifteen different languages.
- The company also implemented Clickability Website Marketing Acceleration™ Clickability’s localization capabilities enable Ciena to establish a truly global presence.
- In order to create more targeted, personalized experiences for its customers, and gather more detailed information about site visitors for its lead generation campaigns. Ciena wanted to do A/B testing around campaigns and gather more powerful business analytics by combining WMA with third-party tools. As part of their globalization push, Corea also wanted to be able to serve geo-location content based on country location and user behavior. He thought that he would have to implement this functionality manually, but with WMA he has an automated solution that lets him retain full control.